NIN Mistake: National Identity Number (NIN): How To Correct Name, Date of Birth , Add name and update your information

How to Modify or correct your NIN information

Last Updated on June 2, 2024 by admin

Do you want to correct your name or modify your date of birth  as a result of mistakes in your National Identity Number (NIN) or yo want to add additional name There are lots of reasons you might want to know how to update your information to your National Identification Number?

The National Identity Management Commission (NIMC has revealed how Nigerians can modify their information which is known as modification of data of an enrolled Citizen or Legal Resident of age 16 years and above, when the need arises.

Here is the guide on how to carry out Name or date of birth modification,particularly ladies who got married or divorced after they enrolled into the National Identity Database (NIDB) and issued the National Identification Number (NIN),

Also for those adding or changing a new name, newspaper publication and court affidavit are required, while those with misspell name require no newspaper publication.

Reason for NIN Data Modification

There are several reasons why you might need to modify your National Identification Number (NIN) data in Nigeria:

  1. Errors in Initial Registration:

    • Incorrect Name Spelling: If your name was spelled incorrectly during the initial enrollment process, you’ll need to correct it to ensure accuracy.
    • Wrong Date of Birth: Mistakes in the date of birth provided during registration require correction to reflect the accurate information.
    • Incorrect Address or Phone Number: If you’ve moved or changed your phone number, updating your NIN data is crucial for effective communication
  • 2. Life Events:

    • Marriage: Women who change their surnames after marriage need to update their NIN data to reflect their new names.
    • Divorce: Similarly, those who revert to their maiden names after divorce need to update their information.
    • Change of Name (Due to other reasons): This could be due to legal name changes, religious conversion, or personal preference.
  • Additional Updates:

    • Educational Qualifications: You might want to add or update your educational qualifications in your NIN data.
    • Occupation: If your occupation changes, updating it in your NIN data can be beneficial for various purposes.
    • Other Personal Information: Any other relevant personal information that needs to be updated in your NIN record.


Requirements for NIN Number modification:

The requirements for modifying your National Identification Number (NIN) data in Nigeria vary depending on the specific information you want to change. However, here are the general requirements:

Mandatory Requirements for All Modifications:

  1. Original NIN Slip: You’ll need the original copy of your NIN slip issued after your first registration.
  2. Proof of Payment: A printout of the Remita Retrieval Reference (RRR) number generated after payment, or payment details if paid online.
  3. Application Letter: A signed application letter stating the reason for the modification and the specific changes you want to make.

Additional Requirements for Specific Modifications:

  • Change of Name:
    • Court Affidavit
    • Newspaper Extract (if applicable)
    • Marriage Certificate (if the change is due to marriage)
    • Any other government-issued ID
  • Date of Birth:
    • National Population Commission (NPC) Birth Certificate (for those below 15 years)
    • NPC Age Declaration/Attestation Letter (for those 16 years and above)
  • Others:
    • Relevant supporting documents for the specific information you want to change (e.g., utility bill for address change)

For Minors (Below 18 years):

  • Modification requests for minors require the presence of a parent or guardian with valid identification and proof of guardianship.
  • If a parent/guardian is deceased, a death certificate is needed.
  • A court affidavit for guardianship may be required in certain circumstances.

Where to Submit Your Modification Request:

You can submit your modification request, along with the necessary documents, at any NIMC enrollment center. Alternatively, you can use the NIMC self-service portal for certain modifications like date of birth correction (if you have your NPC certificate number).

Fess to pay for NIN Modification


The fees for NIN data modification in Nigeria vary depending on the specific changes you want to make. As of June 2024, the following fees apply:

  • Change of Name: ₦500 per field (e.g., first name, last name)
  • Change of Date of Birth: ₦15,000 (non-refundable processing fee)
  • Change of Phone Number/Address: ₦500 per field

Important Notes:

  • The ₦15,000 fee for the change of date of birth is solely for processing the request and does not guarantee approval.
  • You can modify up to three fields at a time, and you’ll need to pay the corresponding fee for each field.
  • Payments are made through the NIMC into the Treasury Single Account (TSA) using the Remita platform.


How To change or Modification of Name in your NIN Number

To modify change of name in your NIN number you must submit the following documents

1. NIMC Enrollment Center:

  • Visit: Go to any NIMC enrollment center with the required documents (see below).
  • Fill Form: Fill out a data modification form provided by the NIMC official.
  • Verification: The NIMC official will verify the information against your supporting documents.
  • Payment: Pay the required fee (₦500 per field to be modified) through Remita.
  • Biometrics: Your biometrics (fingerprints, photograph) will be captured again.
  • Transaction ID Slip: You will be issued a transaction ID slip as confirmation.

2. Self-Service Portal (Limited):

  • Note: The self-service portal currently only supports date of birth modifications, not name changes.

Documents Required for Change of Name Modification:

  • Mandatory:
    • Original NIN slip
    • Printout of Remita Retrieval Reference (RRR) number or payment details
    • Signed application letter stating the reason for the change
  • Additional:
    • Court affidavit
    • Newspaper extract (if applicable)
    • Marriage certificate (if the change is due to marriage)
    • Any other government-issued ID
  • Sworn Affidavit
  • Newspaper Extract
  • Marriage Certificate (in cases of marriage) .

Change of Address

To change your address in your NIN number you must submit the following documents

  • Utility Bill
  • Tenancy Agreement
  • Bank Statement
  • Community leader Attestation

Phone Number due to loss or mechanical damage

To change your Phone Number in NIN Number due to loss or mechanical damage submit the following documents

  • Police Report

Level of Education

To change your level of education in your NIN  number go along with your;:

  • Certificate obtained

Change of Occupation

  • Offer Letter

If the modification affects the information on the applicant’s card, the following process will take place:

  • A card replacement form will be filled and the old National ID card retrieved.

Once you have the above documents with you depend on your category of information you want to modify kindly walk into NIN office  and Modification of Names Available at NIMC Offices Nationwide


Frequently Asked Questions


What is NIN?

  • NIN stands for National Identification Number. It is a unique 11-digit number assigned to every individual in Nigeria after they have enrolled in the National Identity Database (NIDB).

Who needs to register for NIN?

  • All Nigerian citizens and legal residents are required to enroll for NIN.

Where can I register for NIN?

  • You can register at any NIMC Enrollment Center across the country. Some telecommunication companies also offer NIN enrollment services.

What documents do I need to register for NIN?

  • You’ll need a means of identification, such as a valid driver’s license, voter’s card, or international passport.

How much does it cost to register for NIN?

  • The first-time enrollment for NIN is free. However, card issuance or correction of data might attract a fee.

How long does it take to get my NIN?

  • It usually takes between 1 to 5 working days for your NIN to be ready after registration.

Can I register for NIN online?

  • Currently, the initial NIN enrollment requires physical presence at an enrollment center. However, some updates and modifications can be done online through the NIMC self-service portal.

Can someone else register for NIN on my behalf?

  • No, NIN enrollment is a personal process. Each individual must enroll for their own NIN.

What if I lose my NIN slip?

  • You can request a reprint of your NIN slip at any NIMC Enrollment Center for a fee.

Can I use my NIN for other purposes besides identification?

  • Yes, your NIN can be used for various purposes, including SIM card registration, bank account opening, passport application, driver’s license renewal, and accessing government services.

Is it mandatory to link my NIN with my SIM card?

  • Yes, the Nigerian government has made it mandatory to link your NIN with your SIM card to ensure proper identification and security.

What happens if I don’t link my NIN with my SIM card?

  • If you fail to link your NIN with your SIM card, your SIM card will be blocked.

Leave a Comment

Scroll to Top