This article is not meant to be derogatory, but it is an exposè . If anyone is offended, I apologize in advance.Yes, there are staff of organizations who have chosen careers that characterize them as human attack dogs used by the management or owners of the organization to hunt and punish offenders.
Unknowingly, the euphoria of the privileged closeness to the management has transformed their psyche into authorized oppressors of fellow colleagues.
The staff in Internal Control, Corporate Audit, Police, EFCC, DSS, NSDC, FRSC and functions that involve investigation, enforcement of policies and executions could fall prey to this human debasement.
This write up is meant to bring to the consciousness of persons in these functions what they are up against during and after service.
BECOMING AN ATTACK DOG
Like a man of the house, management and owners of companies need to prevent employees’ deviation from set rules and regulations. They engage staff whose duties are to detect infraction, investigate suspects, prosecute them or enforce prescribed sanctions.
Unfortunately, some staff saddled with these functions allow the assignment to get into their heads to the extent that they become attack dogs and chief tormentors of fellow colleagues for either an ego boost or to ingratiate with management.
A dog who catches a thief or scares away a threat is usually treated to a fat bone feast. It is a big incentive. The human dogs are also incentivized through promotions and open commendation. This now becomes a motivation to manufacture offenses and making mere mistakes of fellow staff look very grievous.
Some ambitious human dogs take pleasure in pulling down high profile staff or perceived enemies of the CEO. They are trigger happy and measure their success by the number of promising careers they have cut short. These species of human dogs are already rabid and feared. They see themselves as loyal and dependable defenders of the institution.
This class of staff in elite squad don’t know that they are the actual victims in the organization. Their humanity and goodwill are being destroyed by their unconscionable zeal to excel in the negatives.
Their very dear management laugh at their willful stupidity and set them up against their fellow staff. Dog eat dog!
Have you ever seen any attack dog sleep on the same bed with his master? Does a dog become a man? The best of the dogs is still a dog not even a boy or a girl. But, the human dog does not know this.
HOW TO DO A DOG’S JOB AND STILL PRESERVE YOUR HUMANITY
Someone must do the job of control and policy/law enforcement. The following tips may be helpful:
1. The best way to avoid denigrating oneself to a human dog is to understand the scope of the assigned task, determine the objectives of the task and keep to the rules of engagement.
2. Simply be professional. Treat all staff you investigate as colleagues and administer prescribed sanctions with respect. They will learn now or later that you are only doing your job.
3. Don’t be part of a conspiracy to rope in an innocent person. It is a deadly spiritual poison.
4. Don’t make a career of a hangman, it is not edifying. A harbinger of a bad news is often mistaken as the cause of the bad news. People avoid such persons.
THE DESTINY OF AN OVERZEALOUS HUMAN DOG
My investigation shows that many staff who transformed into human dogs suffer the following after effects:
1. Because they allowed themselves to be used to cut down fellow colleagues they spend a very solitary retirement as both their victims and their friends including their former conspirators in management avoid them.
2. They have limited scope of useful or helpful friends in life.
3. They are viewed as negative and horrible people to be distanced from.
4. The psyche of faulting, squealing and accusatory knack, makes them a no-pick for the post of CEOs in organizations. Organizations see them as negatively minded.
5. Their victims don’t forgive them even after decades of retirement and even unto death.
6. The same management they toiled to impress, would later disappoint them as they will be discarded as shells of snail when the contents have been sucked out.
7. They usually feel used and dumped and live in regret.
Any staff in Control and Audit, EFCC and other law enforcement agencies should study the occupational hazards of the job and wear a protective gear.
The staff should be very professional and courteous in the discharge of his/her duties knowing full well that they owe the organization they work for, honest representation of facts and to themselves, a good conscience.
There is life after working as a human dog.
Now you know it, do something about it!
By Anayo Nwosu