REMARKS BY THE INSPECTOR GENERAL OF POLICE, Ag. IGP M.A ADAMU,NPM,mni DURING A ONE-DAY INTERACTIVE SESSION WITH CSOs, NGOs, HUMAN RIGHTS GROUPS AND OTHER CRITICAL STAKEHOLDERS ON POLICE REFORMS AND ACCOUNTABILITY ON 17th MAY, 2019 AT THE FORCE HEADQUARTERS, ABUJA
It is my pleasure to welcome you all to this important meeting which is convened to interact with CSOs, NGOs, Human Right Groups and other critical stakeholders in recognition of your commendable contributions and unalloyed quest for a Police Force that is reliable, accountable and people-oriented.
2. No Police Force anywhere in the world can survive or perform its core mandate effectively without the support, cooperation of the people most especially the CSOs, NGOs, Human Right Groups and other critical stakeholders whose main and sincere objectives lie on ensuring progressive Police reforms take place and steeped in accountability and transparency.
3. During my inaugural speech, I stated that the Police Force under my watch will be citizen-oriented and will uphold the rule of law and respect for human rights of all and sundry. To achieve this, my administration as the Inspector General of Police is poised to operate an all-inclusive policing system with our doors wide open to constructive criticism that will in no doubt help us as an Institution of Government to deliver our mandate of effectively and efficiently policing our society based on rule of law and in line with International best practices.
4. Also, the core part of this administration is the determination and commitment to implementing Community Policing, and as you know, the Police alone cannot do this, we need your assistance, cooperation and support as major stakeholders in achieving these objectives. We shall call on you from time to time in this regard, please.
5. Lastly, let me reiterate that the Nigeria Police is not your enemy, our common enemy is lack of understanding of our common objectives and this is why this meeting is convened for us to bridge the knowledge gap.
6. Thank you for coming, I wish you fruitful interactions.
God bless you all