London attacks latest: Seven dead in London Bridge and Borough Market van and knife terror
1.Death toll has risen to 7, Met boss confirms
2. London Bridge and Borough Market attack: everything we know
3.How the London terror attack unfolded
4. Parties suspend election campaigning – but Ukip refuse
5.Witness: ‘I saw a man with a large blade’
6. Londoners offer shelter and rides
7.How hero taxi driver tried to stop terrorists
8.Donald Trump tells Lon vidon ‘we are with you’
9.Who are the suspects behind the attack?
10.How newspapers around the world reacted
The death toll from the terrorist attack in London Bridge has risen to seven and almost 50 were injured, the head of Scotland Yard has revealed.
Metropolitan Police commissioner Cressida Dick condemned the atrocity as “appalling” and “ghastly”.
She said police believe there were three attackers at London Bridge and Borough Market and that all had been “neutralised”.
How the London Bridge terror attack unfolded How the London Bridge terror attack unfolded
Attackers brought carnage to the streets of the capital, stabbing a police officer and revellers with 12-inch knives, reportedly shouting “this is for Allah”.
The trio were pictured wearing what appeared to be explosive vests, with police later confirming they were hoaxes.
Police were called at around 10.08pm to reports of a vehicle striking pedestrians on London Bridge.
The white van then continued to drive to Borough Market.
Three men then left the vehicle and began to stab people, including a British Transport Police Officer;
The suspects were confronted and shot by police at Borough Market within eight minutes of the first call being made.
In addition to seven fatalities, 48 people are being treated in hospital after being injured in the attack.
It is the third terrorist atrocity in Britain in less than three months after the Westminster and Manchester attacks in March and May.
Addressing media outside Scotland Yard, Ms Dick said: “Last night we saw another appalling and tragic incident in London – something we hoped we would not see again.”
Meanwhile, the major political parties have suspended national election campaigning after the London Bridge terror attack, as Prime Minister Theresa May chaired a meeting of the Government’s emergency Cobra committee.
After consultation between the parties, national activities were put on hold until Sunday evening at least, with the position set to be reviewed later in the day.
But Ukip broke with the other parties by refusing to suspend its General Election campaign, with leader Paul Nuttall warning that stalling the democratic process could lead to more attacks.
This morning’s Cobra meeting has concluded, Downing Street have just confirmed, and Theresa May will make her statement shortly.
PM: I have just led a meeting of COBR in response to the appalling London attack and I will soon be making a statement in Downing Street.
The Telegraph’s Josie Ensor is in Mosul, Iraq, and sends this dispatch. No group has claimed responsibility for the attack yet, and the circumstances are not clear.
But she says what happened last night has chilling echoes of Isil’s latest call to arms:
This is exactly what ISIS called for in their Ramadan message – running people over and stabbing people.
It looks much more like the attacks that aren’t directed or ordered by Isil, and more like the ones carried out by supporters who likely haven’t trained abroad and can’t get their hands on weapons or funding.
Two Australians ‘directly affected’
Two Australians were directly affected in an attack in London on Saturday night, Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull said.
One of the victims was confirmed to be in hospital, while Australian authorities were working to determine the status of the second person, Turnbull told at a news conference on Sunday.
The Australian government has advised its citizens in the UK to avoid the London Bridge and Borough Market areas where militants killed at least six people and wounded more than 30.
“This attack is yet another cruel example of the new reality in which we live, the ever-present threat of murderous Islamist terrorists, intent to harm our communities, our way of life and the freedoms we hold dear,” Turnbull said.
Ukip have broken with the other main political parties in refusing to suspend General Election campaigning in the wake of the London Bridge terror attack.
Conservatives, Labour, Liberal Democrats, the Scottish National Party and Greens have all put national campaigning on hold at least until this evening in respect for those killed and injured.
But Ukip leader Paul Nuttall said that a second disruption to the campaign – following a three-day pause after the Manchester suicide bomb – was “precisely what the extremists would want us to do” and could lead to more attacks.
I am refusing to suspend the UKIP campaign because disrupting our democracy is what the extremists want pic.twitter.com/raISbO9LC5
— Paul Nuttall (@paulnuttallukip)
Not possible to delay election, says David Davis
Brexit Secretary David Davis said he did not believe it would be legally possible to extend the election campaign by delaying polling day to a later date.
Mr Davis told BBC interviewer Andrew Marr:
I’m not sure it can be legally done. In order to do this, you’d have to have some change in the law and who’s going to do that?
Parliament no longer exists. I’m not a Member of Parliament for the duration, as are none of the other people who were MPs.
Mr Davis said he thought that the election was “locked in” to the scheduled date, and that the public would want that to remain the case.
On the one hand, clearly we want to respect the people who’ve been injured and killed and therefore we don’t want to carry on across it.
“On the other hand, the people doing this are doing it because they despise the freedoms we have, and those freedoms could be the freedom to go out on a Saturday night or the freedom to cast a vote.
Mr Davis said it “may well be” that the attacks were intended to disrupt the election, adding: “In which case, all the more reason not to defer, not to deflect, to as far as possible within the bounds of propriety to not let this pull us off course.”
He said he expected the suspension of campaigning to be “relatively brief”.
David Davis: Public would want the election to go ahead David Davis: Public would want the election to go ahead
Seventh victim has died, Met boss confirms
Met Commissioner Cressida Dick is making a statement outside New Scotland Yard. She has just confirmed a seventh victim has died following last night’s attack.
She described the London Bridge terror attack as “appalling and tragic” adding that it was “something we hoped we would not see again”.
She added: “This is a fast-moving investigation, we have very significant resources deployed.”
Ms Dick said she believed that there were three people involved in the attack and they had all been shot dead by police.
But she added: “Of course it is a very complex and confusing scene so it is important we make sure there is no one else outstanding. We do not believe there is but we must make sure.”
We will bring you more from the statement as it comes in.
Manchester concert will go on
Assistant chief constable Garry Shewan from Greater Manchester Police said the force was “deeply saddened” by the attacks in London, but that events in Manchester would carry on as planned.
He said: “There are two large-scale events taking place in Greater Manchester today and we would like to assure people that these will still take place, but with additional security in place to ensure the security of everyone.
“There will be additional security checks taking place and everyone will be searched, including bags.
“We would ask people not to bring bags if they can, as this will help speed up entry.”
Greens suspend national campaigning
Greens confirmed that they too were suspending national campaigning until the evening, though activities will continue at a local level.
Co-leader Caroline Lucas said: “My heart goes out to all those affected and caught up in these horrific and despicable attacks, and my thoughts are with the victims and their families.
“Deep thanks to our emergency services who have responded again with enormous bravery, and to the many members of the public displaying courage and compassion in the midst of terrible scenes.”
Update: Four French victims
An update on the victims.
French foreign minister Jean-Yves Le Drian has told radio station FranceInfo four French citizens were injured in the attack.
It was previously reported there were two French victims.
A man and woman from New Zealand have also been named as stab victims.
Armed police on St Thomas Street Credit: Dominic Lipinski/PA Wire
Sadiq Khan: We will never let the terrorists win
The Mayor London Sadiq Khan has made this statement:
We are all shocked and angry today – but this is our city. We will never let these cowards win and we will never be cowed by terrorism
Sadiq Khan: We will never let the terrorists win Sadiq Khan: We will never let the terrorists win
The mayor is attending the government’s emergency Cobra committee which is beginning shortly.
Labour suspends all national campaigning
Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn has reacted to last night’s horror saying his party has suspended national campaigning for the General Election.
Labour follow the Tories and the SNP.
The Union flag is flown at half mast in Downing Street Credit: Andrew Matthews/PA Wire
Mr Corbyn said:
We are all shocked and horrified by the brutal attacks in London. My thoughts are with the families and friends of those who have died and the many who have been injured.
Today, we will all grieve for their loss.
I would like to thank the police and emergency services for their bravery and professionalism in acting to save lives and deal with these appalling acts of terrorism, as well as NHS staff and members of the public who sought to protect others.
The Labour party will be suspending national campaigning until this evening, after consultations with other parties, as a mark of respect for those who have died and suffered injury.
Those who wish to harm our people, divide our communities and attack our democracy will not succeed. We will stand together to defend our common values of solidarity, humanity and justice, and will not allow terrorists to derail our democratic process.
Theresa May is due to make a full statement at 10am, and we are expecting a statement from Met Commissioner Cressida Dick shortly.
London wakes up to another terror attack
Here is the scene of last night’s terror attack which left six dead and 48 injured.
A police cordon is still up, and police forensics are searching the area, however Borough High Street is now open to pedestrians as far north as Union Street junction.
Flags are also at half-mast in Downing Street.
Police on Southwark Bridge Road, London Credit: Dominic Lipinski/PA Wire
Police cordon off the area around at the scene Credit: Dominic Lipinski/PA Wire
Flags are flown at half mast in Downing Street Credit: Andrew Matthews/PA Wire
Police forensics investigators work on London Bridge Credit: REUTERS/Dylan Martinez
Armed police stand outside Borough Market Credit: REUTERS/Peter Nicholls
14 casualties taken to King’s College Hospital
Fourteen people injured in the attack were taken to King’s College Hospital, in Denmark Hill, south London.
A spokesman said: “The Emergency Department at King’s College Hospital (Denmark Hill) received 14 casualties (six females and eight males) following the incidents at London Bridge and Borough Market in central London.
“One patient has been discharged.”
There were a total of 48 injured and six killed.
New Zealand man named as stab victim
Reports in New Zealand have named a man believed to have suffered multiple stab wounds in the London terror attack.
Oliver Dowling, 32, from Christchurch, received multiple stab wounds to the face, neck and stomach but has since recovered after a four-hour long surgery, according to his sister Freddy.
Oliver Dowling and his girlfriend Marie Bondeville Credit: FACEBOOK
His sister also said in her Facebook post that her brother was able to recover because the attackers missed all his vital organs.
It is believed his girlfriend Marie Bondeville was also injured but her status is unknown.
“Doctors are very happy with how he’s come out the other side. A massive thank to the University of London Hospital for their tireless efforts in helping my brother out!!” his sister Freddy has written.
How world leaders have reacted
German Chancellor Angela Merkel said in a statement that she learned with “sadness and dismay” of the attack.
Today, we are united beyond all borders in horror and sorrow, but also in determination.
In the fight against every form of terrorism, we stand firmly and with determination at Britain’s side.
European leaders sent messages of sympathy and solidarity to the UK via social media.
The President of the European Council Donald Tusk said: “My heart and mind are in London after another cowardly attack. Europe stands by UK in fight against terrorism.”
European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker said: “Following latest London incidents with horror. Thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families. Please stay safe.”
And the President of the European Parliament Antonio Tajani said: “We mourn in solidarity with the victims and the families of heinous London Bridge attack.These acts must be stopped. £UnitedAgainstTerrorism.”
Spanish premier Mariano Rajoy offered “solidarity and support” and Lithuania’s President Dalia Grybauskaite said that the “London spirit” was “stronger than fear”.
Belgian PM Charles Michel said: “A new tragedy in London, we all stand with UK.”
Ireland’s Minister for Foreign Affairs and Trade Charles Flanagan said: “For the second time in two weeks, the ordinary people of the UK have been subjected to cowardly and barbaric attacks. Ireland stands with the UK and condemns these acts utterly.
We continue to closely monitor the situation. Anyone who has serious concerns about loved ones in London can contact my department in Dublin on 01 408 2000, or the Irish Embassy in London on 00 44 207 235 2171.”
French citizens injured in attack
Media in France reported that two French citizens were injured in the attack.
A statement from the Elysee said: “The attack which struck London, days after that which took place in Manchester, is a new abominable and cowardly attack against our free society.
“Fellow French citizens are among the injured. France is putting everything in place to assist them.”
Election ‘must carry on’
A number of senior politcians have urged Mrs May to resist calls to delay the election in response to the tragedy.
Conservative former foreign minister Alistair Burt said: “We don’t have a Parliament or MPs at present. If there’s no general election, when would we get one?
“Must carry on. Parliament must be the national forum to decide response. We cannot live by incident and reaction via vox pop and social media.”
The Democratic Unionist Party’s Jeffrey Donaldson said the election should “absolutely not” be delayed: “If we suspend our democratic process it feeds the warped belief of the terrorists that they can win. We need Parliament back.”
Meanwhile, the pre-election edition of BBC1’s influential The Andrew Marr Show was cancelled in response to the outrage.
The programme had been due to feature election interviews with Mr Farron, Brexit Secretary David Davis and shadow chancellor John McDonnell.
Sturgeon to chair security meeting
Scotland’s first minister Nicola Sturgeon has issued a statement about last night’s attack.
“Following the horrific terrorist attack in the centre of London last night, we are working closely with the UK government and Police Scotland to monitor the situation. Later today I will chair a meeting of the Scottish Government’s Resilience committee.
“My thoughts are with the families and friends of those who have tragically lost their lives and with everyone who has been harmed or affected by these terrible incidents.”
French president: Another appalling attack on society’s freedoms
The French president’s office has released a statement concerning the attack.
“The attack on London just days after the one in Manchester is yet another appalling attack on society’s freedoms.
Mr Macron sends his condolences and thoughts to the victims and their families at this painful time. He assures Britain of France’s solidarity with the British people – France is doing everything it can in the fight against terrorism in Britain and all affected countries.
This Sunday sees the first round of voting in legislative elections for our citizens living abroad. Working with the British authorities, security will be reinforced in London so that the democratic process can continue in the face of the enemies of freedom.
The President is in contact with British authorities and is being kept up to date with developments in the inquiry.
What we know about the attack
Within eight minutes, three male suspects, wearing fake explosive vests, were shot dead in Borough Market by police marksman.
At least 48 patients were taken to five hospitals. Some are in a critical condition.
Shortly before 4am – Police confirm six people were killed in the rampage.
The Prime Minister will chair a meeting of the Government’s Cobra emergency committee on Sunday.
Conservative Party has suspended national campaigning for the general election.
Sadiq Khan told Sky News the General Election is going to go ahead on Thursday, writes Lydia Willgress.
“I’ll be voting on Thursday. I’m not an advocate of postponing the election, I’m a passionate believer in democracy… I’m looking forward to voting on Thursday.”
There have been demands on social media for the election to be postponed.
London Mayor Sadiq Khan has speaking about the attack last night.
The threat level remains the same at severe, meaning an attack is highly likely, but he said Londoners would see an increased police presence.
He also said it was not a mistake to reduce the terror threat from critical after the Manchester attack.
Asked about some calls to postpone the election, he said he does not support such a move. “One of the things we can do to show we are not cowed is to vote in the general election on Thursday,” he said.
As of now, politicians to suspend national campaigning today, but local campaigning to continue. That feels right. What do you think?