Maybe the issue of vice president Yemi Osibanjo as the ‘coordinator’ of government affairs is yet to be rested, as the Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed says they are not sure who will sign the 2017 budget.
Before President Buhari left the country on March 7th to seek medical attention in London, he transferred power to his vice. However the letter is still a subject of controversy.
Lai who spoke to state house correspondents after Wednesday’s Federal Executive Council meeting said that the decision on who signs the Appropriation Bill into law would be decided when the document is finally transmitted to the Presidency.
“When it is transmitted to the Presidency, that decision will be taken”, he said.
He, however, said that an advanced copy of the budget has been received by the Minister of Budget and National Planning. Already Nigerians have begun to rejoice about the passing of the budget. This news will dampen the excitement.
Although, one wonders how an acting president will ignore the signing of the budget that will help the economy that is recovering from a recession.
The fact that the acting president has also not sworn in two ministers, Stephen Ocheni and Suleiman Hassan that have been confirmed by the senate two weeks ago will further raise concern about how far Osibanjo is willing to act.
So far the acting president has held two federal executive council meetings, received some security reports and has visited a few states but the weightier issues of budget signing and swearing in of the ministers remain pending. Although it must be noted that this time around the acting president’s activities seem more mellow compared to his other outings during his previous stint as acting president.