Unless you know and apply some basic principles, you cannot last in any business including farming. There is no point in going into any business if we cannot do what it takes to last and be successful in it. Come along with me to know the 8 basic ways to LAST in farming.
1. Develop the passion. Only passion can take you far into any business including farming. Without having the passion, you will not last in farming. Passion is the energy that will drive you to success no matter the difficulty you face.
2. Be committed to continuous learning. You will not go far in farming without wisdom, knowledge and understanding. It is easy to learn these days with so many useful FREE seminars all over the place. You can never learn enough in improving your farming business.
3. Take it that problems will come. No matter how good you may be, problems will still visit you on the farm. The difference is that great farmers usually turn their problems to opportunities for growth and more profits.
4. Apply sound business principles. You must know that farming is a business to succeed in it. A farmer should be grounded in sound business principles.
5. Be a marketer. What is the point of having products when you cannot turn it to money? Farmers in Nigeria today must be sound marketers if they want to succeed. The middle men are blood suckers and only a wise farmer can outwit them!
6. Keep re-investing your profits. Cash flow and profits are important elements of any business. Business success is not about how much money you make; it is how much money you keep and reinvest.
7. Watch your health! Health they say is wealth. Farmers should constantly monitor their health and not internalize the pains and struggles associated with farming.
8. Enjoy what you do. Learn to enjoy the whole process. Take it as an adventure. Any business that cannot be taken as an adventure will ultimately burdened the owner.
Supo Abiona (Goodland Farms)