The dream of giving Anambra State a befitting Airport will finally take off today as history is about to be made in Umueri, Anambra East LGA of Anambra State. Governor Obiano had said that the project will be among the best and biggest of such Airport City projects in Africa.
With Memorandum of Understanding between the State Government and China Aviation recently signed at the Government House, Awka, everything is now set for the flag off .
The multi billion dollar project is for the development, under a Build, Operate, Manage & Transfer (BOMT) arrangement of an Airport City (Aerotropolis). The airport will be an International Cargo Airport and will have an aviation fuel dump where aircrafts will fly in to refuel.
Other airport city projects include but not limited to two runways, Passenger and VIP Terminal, Taxiways and Aprons, Fire Station, Control Building and Towers, Aviation Fuel dump and dispensing facilities, airport cargo sheds, aircraft maintenance hanger, five star airport hotel and conference center, aviation training and services buildings, airport multilevel car parks, airport recreational areas, international mega shopping mall, luxury retail shopping, China wholesale depots, emergency service centers, industrial business park.
The project will create a whole new world of economic opportunities for the South-East, and will unleash the untapped potential of increased trade and commercials , manufacturing, innovation, technology transfer, SME growth and IGR revenue explosion to Anambra State.
Below are the eight important facts about this project
1. This Airport City will be an integrated city comprising of Two Runways, A shopping Mall, Industrial and Business parks and Airport Hotels.
2. The Airport when completed will create 1200 direct jobs with 70 % of the jobs reserved for Ndi Anambra.
3. 3% of the profit made in the Airport will be reserved for host (Umueri) community
4. The Airport will be sited on 1500 hectares of land with room for expansion.
5. The cost of developing the Airport will be in the region of 2 billion dollars.
6. The Anambra International Cargo Airport will be constructed under Build Operate Manage and Transfer (BOMT )
7. The Partners for this project are Anambra State government Orient Petroleum
Elite International Investment Holding and Chinese Aviation company
8. The project will be ready in three years.
Invest Nigeria? Think Anambra.